Are you safe?

If you are at home or in the home of someone else – has the attacker gone? If not, can you make yourself safe, contact a friend or family member or call the police? 

If you are in any danger or seriously injured call 999 immediately.

If possible, try and find somewhere you feel safe.

Do you have any injuries?

If you have any physical injuries after an assault you should seek medical help.

If this is more than a very minor injury, or if you were unconscious for even a short time, you should go to Accident and Emergency. If you can, it may be helpful to bring a friend or family member with you.

It is up to you how much information you provide, but the hospital staff will be able to offer you better advice if they are aware of the circumstances.

 NHS Sexual Assault Response Co-ordination Service (SARCS) 
The NHS Sexual Assault Response Co-ordination Service (SARCS) is a 24 hour, 7 day a week service which offers practical, health care and emotional support for people who have been sexually assaulted or raped. It is a self referral system, so you can contact them directly without having to speak to any other professionals and you do not have to make a police report in order to access the service or receive support. 

You can call them on 0800 148 88 88 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and calls are free from landlines and mobiles. 

The SARCS website also offers further information and about sexual assault and rape and loca 

Your sexual health

 You can contact Grampian Sexual Health @ The Health Village on: 0345 337 9900 

They have specialist medical and forensic services for anyone who has been raped or sexually assaulted within the SARC (sexual assault referral centre) located there. 

They will be able to advise you on emergency contraception. Emergency contraception should be taken within 72 hours of the attack.

You may be concerned about contracting a sexually transmitted infection and will be able to discuss testing with staff at The Health Village.


There are a large number of support services you can call or visit.

Rape Crisis Grampian
Rape Crisis Grampian
01224 590932
9am-4pm Mon, Wed, Fri
9am-8pm Tues, Thurs

Rape Crisis Scotland
Freephone 08088 010302
Daily 6pm-midnight 

Scottish Women’s Rights Centre Advocacy Support Helpline
Tel: 08088 010 789 every Tuesday, 11 am to 2 pm.

 The service is for women aged 16 years old and over living in Scotland who have been affected by violence or abuse.

can help you with the following:
  • Explaining legal processes
  • Communicating with solicitors
  • Support with complaints processes
  • Attending court
  • Reporting a crime
  • Accessing and engaging with other agencies and support services (housing, benefits, NHS, police, immigration, etc).
AMINA - Muslim's Women's Resource Centre
Phone: 0808 801 0301 (Helpline Open Mon - Fri, 10am - 4pm)

Helpline for Scotland providing support to women from minority backgrounds who have been affected by violence against women.

Revenge Porn Helpline
Revenge pornography is illegal. 
It is a UK service supporting adults (aged 18+) who are experiencing intimate image abuse, also known as, revenge porn. 
The main areas they can help with are: 
  • Intimate images shared without consent
  • Threats to share intimate images
  • Images recorded without consent (Voyeurism) 
  • Webcam blackmail (Sextortion)
  • Upskirting 

Contact Revenge Porn Helpline here.

Reporting to the Police. 

Rape and Sexual Assault are Criminal Offences.

The police have specially trained officers who are available to assist you and you can be confident that your complaint will be taken seriously.  

You can call the police non-urgently to report something of concern or even discuss a situation on 101.
In an emergency always call 999.

You can also report the incident anonymously by calling Crime Stoppers at any point on 0800 555 111

If you are thinking about reporting a sexual crime or you already have reported it here is a useful video to watch. It gives an overview of how to report and what you may expect at each stage of the process.

There are two ways you can tell us what happened